In February 1919, an offer was made to the Parish Council by the War Trophies Department of the Ordinance Office at Croydon, of a captured German 150m/m Howitzer No. 1750 with carriage for the same No.324. This offer was accepted by the Council.
In March 1919, the Howitzer arrived at Darsham Station and the following places were considered for the choice of an acceptable site.
1. The Mill Hill.
2. The corner of the Vicarage garden.
3. The corner of the "Corner Field" near the parish houses.
4. The spot at the junction of the Highway and the road leading to Darsham.
5. The corner of Mr Scott-Catchpole's meadow, opposite the White House.
6. A piece of waste Parish property where the old Tithe Barn stood.
This last piece was chosen as it did not interfere with the privacy of anyone. A Mr Cornish of Yoxford was asked to estimate for concreting a base on which to stand the gun.
The Parish Council decided to decline the offer of a formal presentation.
In March 1940 it was suggested that the gun be disposed of. Tenders were obtained and proceeds of the sale were paid to the committee of the Comrades' Hut and expended for the benefit of the men of Darsham, then serving with the forces.
In 1952, the ownership of the site was questioned but was proved to be Parish property by correspondence with the E.S.C.C. & Post Office Telephones of Colchester, who agreed that Lt.- Col. R.D.Wylde had in his capacity of Clerk to the Parish Council, signed an agreement on 22nd September 1938, for a telephone kiosk to be placed on the 1914/1918 War Memorial Site (then the Gun Site).
The site was variously referred to as the War Memorial Site or the Gun Site. In 1953 it was re-named the Coronation Site when it was proposed to plant small trees and bushes, and to provide a seat to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, to be placed on the old concrete base.
From The Leiston Observer 5th July, 1919.
HOWITZER: A German Howitzer, 155 mm No. 1,750, has been presented to Darsliam by Lt. Col. A.H. Thorpe D.S.O. a son of the late Rev. J. Thorpe, Vicar of the parish 1867 - 1889. A brass plate affixed to the gun bears the following inscription "1918. Presented by Lt. Col. A.H. Thorpe, D.S.O., commanding 90th Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery, No's 95-244-277-299, Siege Battery, R.G.A."
From Darsham Parish Council Minute Books; Sept 1920
Letters were read from Lieut-Col. Thorpe to Dr. Tennant (Vicar) and from Dr Tennant to the Chairman relating to the formal presentation of the howitzer. The Council proposed the following resolution: "the parish Council, whilst fully appreciating the kindness of Lieut-Col. Thorpe in presenting the gun, which their previous acknowledgements testify, now unanimously decides to give no further publicity to the matter".