During the Second World War, Darsham schoolchildren and the headmistress, Mrs E.Quadling, sent comforts to the Royal Navy.
After the war was over, by way of gratitude, a "small ship" was named H.M.S.DARSHAM - and stationed in Hong Kong patrolling the Far East.
On the break up of the ship, the ship's bell was presented to the parish. Accepted by the Parish Council to be kept in the church, it was handed over at a ceremony on 5th July, 1966. The engraved presentation plate was purchased by the parish council at a cost of 27/6d
INSHORE MINESWEEPERS 76 "Ham Class"
The first inshore minesweeper was the "Inglesham", launched on 23rd April, 1952. H.M.S.Darsham was launched sometime after 1955. Ships were designed to operate in shallow waters such as rivers and estuaries. They were an entirely new type of vessel resulting from lessons learned during WWII. Named after villages with the suffix "Ham" originally to be named after insects, but changed to numbers, then to villages. About 75 were built, plus a number of others built in British Yards for the United States. M.2601 Series are of wooden construction. M.2701 Series (a later series) are of composite construction.
H.M.S.Darsham had a compliment of 15 in peacetime (2 Officers and 13 ratings) to be updated to 22 in time of war.
(from Janes' Fighting Ships 1959 - 1960)